Tuesday, May 22, 2012

5.99 Special

My daughter and I went to some supposedly huge neighborhood garage sales this weekend...NOT. We did not find one thing. Most people were selling clothes. I have enough clothes thank you very much. I wanted furniture, or frames, or something that I could re purpose.  We went to a thrift store and SCORE! I found a cute little table/cabinet for $5.99. Yes I said 5.99. I thought of dear hubby right away. I think he needs a little table in front of the window in his den. I am not sure if he thinks that, but we will tackle that later.
At the risk of being ostracized from blogland for life, I am going to share a truth with you. On my first chalk paint project, I dutifully purchased some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, because hey that is just what you do, right. It was nice, I did my two nightstands and a chair and waiting to do the other chair. It worked, it distressed and polished up with the wax.

But, for my little $5.99 table, I went to Home Depot to get the perfect green color that I wanted. Bought a quart for $11.94 and went home and mixed it with my plaster of paris. Here is where my truth comes in, I like the homemade paint BETTER than the ASCP....okay you can delete me now if you must. I can't help it. I feel that it covered better, dried smoother and didn't gunk up the brush as much. I do think that ASCP sands/distresses in a finer powder, but so what. This distressed fine and the color was amazing and the price was even better. So without further ramblings, here are some pictures of my little green table for my hubs.

Doors Before-hardware removed
Sorry I got excited and forgot the before shot



Table top, water rings and damage

Here is the finished product in his den

Not bad for $5.99 huh? He comes home tonight so I hope he likes it.

22 comments:

  1. Do you know if you can paint a chair that has a polyester finish to it? I have an UGLY chair and a half that I could paint. It's really comfortable and there's no budget to replace it. I like the "homemade" chalk paint too. Love the $$$$$ it saves me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great deal and what a makeover! It looks amazing, here from How To Nest For Less, and now following you :)

    Tanya
    http://twelveoeight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful! Excellent work and killer buy! This weekend was an embarrassment of riches where we live. But it's like that, feast or famine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing what a little paint will do. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you mind sharing your paint color...It is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Home Depot Behr Boston Fern, but I used glidden satin paint.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful transformation!! I, too would love to know the color of paint you used. It is a beautiful shade of green! Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Home Depot Behr Boston Fern, but I used glidden satin paint.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, Kelli! I love that color! Blessings!

      Delete
  7. This is such a gorgeous transformation! I just adore the color you chose to repaint it! Hope you will hop on over to my under 300 followers blog hop @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2012/05/under-300-followers-blog-hop-3.html
    I am your newest follower~
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is absolutely awesome! Great job! Love the color (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Turned out great. Thanks for sharing at our party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice makeover, great job, great color!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That turned out beautiful!! I love the color! Thanks so much for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome find! Just found your blog from Feed Me Friday. Love for you to follow back when you get a chance!

    Have a great weekend!

    http://naptimeshopper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is darling! I'm a new follower from the under 300 followers blog hop!

    Heather
    www.briebrieblooms.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That turned out awesome! I love the color!

    Thanks for sharing it!
    --Katie
    @ Creatively Living

    ReplyDelete
  15. super super great! thanks so much for linking this up to the party this weekend! i love it. have a great memorial day weekend!
    {love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great deal and you made it shine! Sooo pretty now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW, what a great find and it turned out great! Thanks for sharing at Creative Thursday last week. I can't wait to see what you link up this week. Have a great day :)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this, I just put the finishing touches on my very first furniture remake today! I also made my own chalk paint... I was wondering if the "good stuff" was really that much better and I am so happy to see that it's at least as good in your opinion!! NO ONE sells it around here, and I just couldn't stand to wait to order it!

    Anyway, it looks great and I wanted you to know this post will be featured tomorrow afternoon at Happy Hour Projects! Thanks for sharing!

    Adrianne

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great find. You have been featured here:
    http://www.decoratinginsanity.com/2012/05/furniture-friday-18-and-features.html
    xoxo...mONICa

    ReplyDelete