Sunday, May 27, 2012

Parson's Chair Slipcover

I  bought this chair on Craigslist for $10.00, score!
Before
I even went to the fabric store and bought a pattern, but I think I have some of that y chromosome in me (don't tell my husband). I hate to work with patterns, too much work, cutting it out, pinning, etc. I wanted to re-upolster this and it would have been very easy. I took the chair apart and it would have been super simple. The fabric I wanted to use was just flimsy cotton and I was afraid after stapling, it would rip. So I decided a slip cover was the way to go.
Here is a pattern for all of you that like patterns.
Pattern (unused in this project)
I saw on Pinterest that the back of the chair is the same as a pillow case. I tried it and they were right. So I did the back just like a pillow case, right sides together, but don't sew all the way down because you have to add the seat and sides.
Pillow Case with seam stopping before the end

This is what I mean with the Y chromosome. I don't like patterns, or to follow directions. I like to eye-ball it. I just kept fitting it on the chair and adjusting to make it work.
Sew across the seam making a triangle.
Seams aren't perfect, but will you notice when it is done?


I am learning to stop with the whole perfection thing. (therapy was good, thank you very much).
Cut off a small portion and add a piece the size to fit the seat with some overhang
I wanted to tuck some into the groove in the back of the chair
Overhang, again, eyeballing it. (Sorry)
Side sewn on. Repeat x 1more side  

I'm all about the bling. Add fringe.
Finished Project
In my beading/computer area

18 comments:

  1. Wow! This is very cool! My grandmother could reupholster like you and she did beautiful work - just like you. I think a pattern may have messed it up. The fringe set it off perfectly. I wish I had that chromosome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job! Love it, BTW I have some of that fabric and I covered the inside of my camera bag with it. By far one of my favs!! Stopping by from the Gunny Sack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice score and so cute!
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute! Love the trim too. I just bought a table and chairs on Craigslist that I'm going to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out way to cute! I came via blog train and am now a follower. I love to see what others create and can teach me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great find and nice job! I love craigslist :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is seriously so cute! We're working on remodeling an ottoman right now...it's so fun! Thanks for sharing your ideas on "Strut Your Stuff Saturday!" We'll see you next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are my kind of girl! I hate to follow directions! LOL

    Thanks for sharing this on SOS!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun look. Love the pink and black combo for sure. Thanks for sharing this week on BeColorful.
    p

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the material you choose:) I am with you this perfection thingy has go to go:) (but you chair does look so perfect). Just dropping in to see what you are up to and to let you know that Freedom Fridays is up and running. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that fabric!!! So pretty! Perfect parsons chair now!!! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That chair is awesome! Love the fringe!

    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is adorable! I love the fringe on the bottom!!! Too cute!! Thanks so much for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so happy that this chair came to my party! I just loved it the first minute I saw it. Like a Cinderella movie and you are the fairy Godmother for chairs:) Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one FUNKY chair!! LOVE IT!! And $10 for that chair on Craig's list.. CRAZY!!

    Thanks for sharing at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, what an amazing job. I love the fabric! Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can’t wait to see what you link up next week. Have a great weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I just did 4 of them (whew!) and it was much easier having followed your instructions. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete