Thursday, June 7, 2012

Easy Doggy Car Seat

We are going home to Kansas next week, and that means a 9 hour drive. We are taking Bella and she is always really good in the car, but she wants to be on someone's lap the whole time.
This kind of messes up my knitting and dear hubby's sleeping. I wanted a car seat for her that would let her be able to see out of the window and lay down and sleep if she wants to.
I wanted it to look like this. You can buy this Here for $95.00. Mine was 9.99 for basket and 19.99 for dog bed that I can re-use in her little bed at home if she doesn't like the car seat.
I found this on Pinterest. But she is very finicky about everything and I don't want to put a lot of work into something if she isn't going to use it. I made a simplified version of this. If she likes it, I will prettify it up for her. See how the puppy above really can't lay down comfortably? I wanted more space for her.
I started with this purchased at Tuesday Morning.
See the foam underneath, I used 777 Spray to stick it to the basket. (I know the yellow is gross looking, but that is what happens to foam when it ages).
This worked out great. Very sticky and the foam did not budge.
Next, I put a piece of foam down in the basket for support and added height. The foam on the bottom is just to add height, so she can see out the window.
Next, I fold the fabric I was going to use in half after measuring to make sure it went all the way around the basket. I wanted it to fit very tight, like a second skin. I sewed down the length of the fabric and across the bottom.
Then I pulled the pieces kind of apart, I really don't know how to explain this.  I sewed across forming a triangle on both bottom sides.
When turned right side out, this forms the squared off edges to go around the foam properly.
Right side out.
Then I pulled it over the foam and basket, squaring up the two sides.
As you can see, I have plenty of fabric. I don't want to cut it off yet, because if Bella likes it, I am going to make it pretty and may need some of that fabric. So for now, I am tucking it down between the basket and the foam on the inside.
The foam does a good job holding it down.  I put a piece of fleece over the foam and tucked it down too. Then I added the doggy bed that I bought at Tuesday Morning. It has furry insides and has support all around three sides so she can lay her head down on it and look out the window or sleep.

Now if you know me, you would know that having this bed not really MATCH the bottom is going to drive me crazy. I have already figured out how to sew a different outer shell around the pink. I don't want to cover up the fur because it is so soft, so I can't just make a cover for the whole thing. I know mine is not as pretty as the one I want, but it will be comfortable for my baby and that is more important.
Well look here, Miss Bella has stopped by to try it out.
This might just work. She seems to like it.

Haha. Couldn't resist this shot.
Wish me luck on our long drive.

6 comments:

  1. Your version looks great! I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to put a lot of effort into it until you know it's going to work! Our Bubba has eaten every bed he's had in less than a week. I'm always needing to get creative! :) Bella looks pretty comfy in her seat though- good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so neat! Never thought I could make one myself! Looks professionally made. Your dog is so adorable!
    Would love for you to share this at link party I am having now :)

    xo
    Myric

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute!!! What a neat seat for the car. Thanks so much for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh this is so cute! I wish my dog liked riding in the car but he's a nervous wreck. Thanks so much for stopping by Creative Thursday last week. I couldn’t do these parties without you. Can’t wait to see what you link up this week. Have a great week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever idea!! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! My little Bear would love it, too! He loves going on car rides! Bella looks really happy that you made it for her!
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete