Saturday, October 20, 2012

Spoon Holder to Shabby Key Holder

Bella's Crafty Mom

I found this at the Re-Store for $3.00 and knew right away that it would make a great key holder for our entry way.
Before-old spoon holder
First I removed the two spoon racks that were screwed in from the back.
I filled the holes with wood filler.
Then I painted it off white with my homemade chalk paint recipe. (I use plaster of Paris). Sorry no picture. I used a graphic from the The Graphics Fairy and added my own text.
I used the modge podge method, painting modge podge on the printed side, placing this face down on the surface and letting it dry. Remember to reverse your image before you print if you are using any lettering.  Then I wet it and carefully rubbed off the top layer of paper to reveal the graphic. I will say that the first time it did not work out so well, so I sanded it off and repeated.
Bella's crafty mom
Shabby Key Holder
I wanted it to look old and weathered, so I dry brushed some ASCP white on top of the off white paint I used and also dry brushed some black acrylic paint on the edges and around the base wherever I thought it needed it.  I finished it up with some clear AS wax.

I used a cow in the middle because when we move home to Kansas, we are going to raise some cattle.
I painted some brass cup holders with oil rubbed bronze spray paint and added them to the bottom.
Here she is all shabby and old looking and I love it. What do you think?
Linking to these parties:



16 comments:

  1. amazing amazing transformation! I have been seeing a lot of those spoon holders and I never sought them as a key holder. Now I won't hesitate to get those!
    I hope you could come and link up at my link party and I am also having a giveaway over @ http://myricandreasen.blogspot.com/2012/10/passion-parade-link-soiree-and-giveaway.html


    have a great weekend!
    Myric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job. I love it, it is so pretty.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great makeover, Kelli! You'd never know this was the same spoon holder. Good vision on this project. Love the image you chose and I love the fleur de lis you added to the top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive that you can imagine what the 'after' could be! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelli, I'm stopping by from Friend Friday at Sew Many Ways to see your project. Wow! What a great makeover for that old spoon holder! I love the graphics and your homemade chalk paint look. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your shabby key holder is beautiful!!!! What a difference!! Just stopping by to say "Hi" from Sew Many Ways Find a Friend Friday! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That turned out so cute. Looking at my spoon rack now, only my is full of spoons. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Thanks for previously linking up to Curb Alert's Friday Block Party. I would love for you to share your creativity in our newest Block Party now live: http://tamicurbalert.blogspot.com/2012/10/quick-doghouse-fix-and-friday-block.html
    Hope to see you there!
    Tami @ Curb Alert!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aren't you the clever one. I never would have thought to do this. Thanks for sharing on BeColorful.
    p

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I love that piece! I am a sucker for cows anyways. You did a great makeover. Thanx for sharing at THT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous idea! Turned out great. I'm featuring it tonight at the highlight party. Thanks so much for sharing it at Project Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this transformation. I love the new color and design. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I’m new follower of your blog and would like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/02/clever-chicks-blog-hop-20-and-lollipop.html





    I hope you can make it!

    Cheers,

    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for sharing it at Project Queen. harga hp

    ReplyDelete